Stella's Hair Etc.

Monday, June 18, 2007

I've been tagged. Thank you SisRJQueen for tagging me finally! Now I have to think of 7 things about me to share with the blogspere. Here are the rules: Each player starts with 7 random facts/habits about themselves. People who are tagged need to then report this on their own blog with their 7 things as well as these rules. They then need to tag 7 others and list their names on their blog. They are also asked to leave a comment for each of the tagged, letting them know they have been tagged and to read the blog.


1) I was born and raised in Southern California

2) I have 5 brothers and 4 sisters. The oldest is 20 years older then the youngest. When I was 9 years old, I used to get a kick out of telling people I was an auntie. Now I'm an auntie many times over. Wait, I'm a great auntie many times over! (Hair note: I was the first one in my family with locks and was surprised to find out that one of my sisters started her own braid locks recently)


3) I have experienced a collision at sea. Years ago when I was in the Navy, I was on a ship conducting nights drills with a group of other ships. The ship I was on collided with another ship. The impact knocked me out of my rack (bed). There was a hole big enough to drive a bus through on one side of the ship. The ship was taking on water and there was a fire. I learned that night that I can handle myself under extreme pressure. All of the training and drills paid off as 300 + men and women worked together to put out the fire and secure the ship from sinking. We lost all engine power and had to be towed back to shore the next day. Fortunately, we were only 50 miles off of the cost. One sailor lost his life that night and other's lost their careers.


(Hair note: when I was in the military, women were not allowed to wear more than 2 braids at a time. Corn rows, individuals, etc were considered fads. It is my understanding that the military has come to the realization that braids ain't goin' in and out of style like skinny jeans and they are now allowed. If I was able to rock some braids back then, I would have been saved from a lot of hair disasters.)


4) I have arachnophobia. I don't even like to see cartoon spiders and I won't even take my 10 year old to see Charlotte's Web at the movies. (Hair note: I hate hairy looking spiders the most).


5) I got to perform with one of the Samba schools (Caprichosos de Pilares) at Carnival in Rio de Janeiro Brasil in full costume in front of thousands of people. It was amazing!. We showed up at around 9pm and waited in the staging area with hundreds of others until it was our turn to march/dance down the Rio Sambadrome. It was also a competition between all of the Samba schools so even though I was hot and tired, I kept dancing and smiling the whole time. By the time we finished, it was sunrise. (Hair note: I wore human hair extensions at the time. Although there are more people of African decent in Brazil than in the U.S., I only saw one other sister with extensions the whole time I was there. I don't recall seeing any locks.)

6) I love cars. I read up on the latest models and car trends. When I was ready to purchase my last car, I did research for a month before I settled on a model. If I were wealthy, I don't think I'd have a fleet of cars but, I'd have at least 3.

7) I'm an introvert. I prefer not to be around a lot of people for long periods of time. I have a few close friends, one which I've friends with since 8th grade.


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Maryee said...

Interesting post! I used to live in Irvine and Brea (OC), but miss California immensely. Thanks for sharing your 7.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Stella,

I enjoyed reading your tag post. Reading about your ship collision experience reminds me that I really need to learn how to swim and I am going to do it this coming summer with my twins. They will be five years old. I don't want them to be handicapped in this area so I am going to get them lessons.

This summer we went to San Antonio Texas. My son fearlessly jumped into the water of a swimming pool. This was his first time in a pool. I think he thought it was like the bathtub at home. Fortunately he had a "floatie" around his waist. Even though he was floating, his head was still under water. I was in shock for a couple of moments, then the Mama in me kicked in. I did not even think about the fact that I can't swim. I jumpted into the water to assist my son. I would not let him get out of the water until we overcame the fear he just created in himself. Within about 10 minutes he was laughing at the joy of "swimming" instead of crying about drinking water in his mouth and nose at the same time.

RJQueen10

 

Post a Comment

<< Home