So mom saw my new Sister Locks for the first time on 11/16/06. Mom lives in San Diego the home of Sister Locks and knows several women in her quilt guild who have them so it's not like she didn't know what to expect.
Now she keeps her hair wrapped up in "lively" (nice word for busy and loud) printed scarves. She's not nappy friendly to say the least. After our usual warm greeting, she told me she liked my hair but that it looked weird like I told her my 10 year old's friend described it.
After I asked her to explain weird, she said it looked weird for me because she's not used to seeing my hair like that. Hmmm... interesting.

1 Comments:
Well, that does not exactly count as a negative comment!
Ms. Stella,
You know what is a trip to me. And this probably explains some of what your mother sees. When I looked at my natural hair for the first time back in the year 2000. Although it was beautiful, when I saw myself all I could see were the lies I have been told about myself from society all of my life. That was over 27 years of lies, Lies, LIES! My image, was not beautiful. What a shame, Shame, SHAME! As the singer Marvin Gaye and author Nathan McCall would say, "Makes me wanna holla..."
Fortunately as I looked at the photos several months later. All I was able to see was beauty. However, I still did not have the courage to BE beautiful! Wow! That is kinda deep! Marvin Gaye and Natan McCall would say, "...throw up both my hands and SHOUT!"
Thank you God for giving something else to do with my hands besides cry out in agony, pain, and frustration. Now, "I lift my hands in the sanctuary, I lift my hands to give You the glory,I lift my hands to give You the praise, and I will praise You for the rest of my days!" Whew! That is so much more positive!
Sis. RJQueen10
Post a Comment
<< Home