My Sisterlocks decision....
OK, I've known about Sisterlocks for about 10 years now. So after wearing my hair braided and in "phony ponys" for the last 10 or so years, I decided to lock my hair. I always felt that I would wear my natural hair in a twa, twists or locks once I turned 50 years old because I would be comfortable enough, strong enough, bold enough and done worrying about what other people thought about my hair. Well, I'm happy to say it didn't take that long (I'm not 50) to wake up and realize that my hair is MY HAIR! I'm ready to take this journey now. There's no time like the present.
So in July 2006 this sister with the most beautiful hair walks into my job. I immediately recognized she had Sisterlocks. This was the first time that I saw my first real-life Sisterlock. I was changed forever! I asked her about her hair and she had nothing but great things to say about it. She gave me her consultant's card which I held on to for about a week.
I started researching Sisterlocks. I went to the official Sisterlocks website and carefully read every page. I found the lockitup group and joined. There is so much information out there for anyone wanting to know about Sisterlocks. I scheduled my first of two consultations shortly there after and in August 2006 I scheduled my Sisterlocks installation for October 2006.
In the meantime, I had to let my DH (dear husband) in on my little plan. He was a little apprehensive and taken aback with what seemed like my overnight decision to lock my hair. I explained to him that it was not an overnight decision. That I had considered Sisterlocks before but decided to put locking my hair on hold until I was ready. I had to have the right state of mind. I also let him know that I had been researching Sisterlocks so that I understood the process and what to expect during the different stages.
He voiced a few concerns about what would happen if I didn't like my hair locked and costs. My response; If I don't like the locks, I'll cut them and go back to braid extensions. The cost is comparable to what I'd spend annually for braid services, buying hair (ugh! I won't miss that) and other hair products.
Just this morning as I complained about what was beginning to be a bad hair day (phony pony wouldn't act right), my DH asked me when I was getting my Sisterlocks! My heart jumped because I was so happy to talk to him about what I've been anticipating, fretting, dreaming, blogging, internet surfing and basically obsessing about for the past few months. I'm happy to say, he's on board.
Next, I told my 26 year old niece. She said she thinks they are pretty but that she also thought that I should think about it some more since it is a big commitment. Sage advice. I've always known she had a good head on her shoulders. Good thing I've already given my decision plenty of thought.
The other day, I told my Mom. I was suprised at her reaction as she started rattling off the names of all of the women in her San Diego CA based quilt guild that have Sisterlocks. She finally said, "So your gonna have some curly Q's" I laughed and said that's right. This from the woman who hides her beautiful natural hair under a hat or scarf unless she has hot ironed every kinky curl into submission. I keep telling her to wet it, twist it and let it do it's thing.
Anyway, my decision is made and I can't wait until my locks are born!
I'll be posting pictures of my hair before and after so don't forget to check back.

2 Comments:
You are a Godsend. This is exactly what I am going through with my husband. Thanks to Creoyle's and BlaqKofi visual and detailed blogs he is coming around to me having Sisterlocks™ in a big way. Our only obstacle is the costs. Other than that he knows this is not only a beautiful way to maintain my hair but it is the BEST way.
He even, went so far as to suggest, that once I get my hair done that we put our daughter's hair like this too. I was so blown away by this, I immediately stopped what I was doing to go give him a hug and a kiss. I wanted him to know how much him saying what he said meant to me.
I was already making plans to learn this process properly so I can apply it to our daughter's hair. Thank you God, I did not even have to present this idea to him. My God is exceedingly and abundantly excellent!
Sis. RJQueen10
I can really identify with this post. I went through much the same process before deciding to lock my hair, although I was already wearing it natural (no phony ponies).
Isn't it THE BEST thing when you DO actually make up your mind and follow through?
Post a Comment
<< Home